UpToDate is an electronic primary resource for point-of-care medical knowledge and research that has proven to increase clinical knowledge and improve patient care. This electronic resource acts as a quick reference manual on symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, drugs and drug interactions, medical calculations, and patient education that can be used while working directly with patients.
To access UpToDate, follow the steps below:
2. Find UpToDate in the list of databases and click on the link. The first time you click this link, a second window will open where you will enter your Celtic Online username and password. This proxy server verifies with UpToDate that you are affiliated with Carlow University and grants you access to the platform.
3. After authenticating your credentials you will be taken to UpToDate. You do not have to register or log in on the UpToDate homepage in order to use the system. If you are interested in using the mobile app, however, you will need to create an UpToDate account. For instructions on creating an UpToDate account, please see the next tab.
Once you have accessed UpToDate, you can create a personal account. If you are planning on using the UpToDate mobile app or would like to track CME credits, you must create an account.
Please note that you will have to sign in through the A-Z Databases link once every 90 days to re-verify your affiliation with Carlow University. This is mandatory through UpToDate. More information regarding this requirement is available on the next tab.
1. Click on the orange "Register" button at the top of the UpToDate homepage (upper left hand side on the mobile app, upper right on a computer). Enter your personal information into the fields on the next page. You will be asked to create a username and password specifically for UpToDate. (This is not the same as your Carlow single sign-on.)
2. Now that you have created your account, you can download the UpToDate app and sign in.
3. You will now be able to use the full functionality of the UpToDate app.
UpToDate requires that users signing in through an institutional license (like Carlow's) re-authenticate their affiliation every 90 days. Simply put, every 90 days you will have to log into UpToDate through the A-Z Databases link in order to re-verify that you have an active Carlow University account.
If at any time you are unable to log into UpToDate or are told you are no longer a verified user, start with this step. It is quite possible that all you need to do is re-verify your credentials.
More information on this requirement can be found here: https://www.uptodate.com/home/maintaining-access